Saturday, February 9, 2013

Week 8: Application Installation

Application installation was covered in class this week.  While this topic is not new to me, there were some new aspects to the topic that I had not been presented before.  In particular, I learned a great deal about the architecture of the Windows 7 operating system.  We learned about the function of the environment subsystems and the executive services.  Aside from operating system architecture, we explored several of the operating system components and tools used to support legacy applications such as DOS, 16-bit, and 32-bit versions.  The .NET framework was also discussed.  This framework supports many .NET applications which rely on it for operating system services including security, memory management, and exception handling.  We learned about several methods for installing/uninstalling software applications including the preferred methods for each.  Deployment methods for software applications used by corporations of all sizes were also presented as well as were some of the tools and techniques provided by the operating system developers.  We also received a great deal of hands-on experience installing and uninstalling various software applications on our virtual machines.

This week was not as much challenging as it was time-consuming.  The homework assignment was to install and uninstall various software applications used within the corporate world on our virtual machines.  We also were assigned to locate and install all the updates available for Windows 7 and Office 2010.  While this homework was not difficult, it was very time-consuming.  One major issue I encountered was when I was almost done with the homework, I realized that I was almost out of disk space.  With several large updates still remaining, I realized that I needed to repartition my hard drive in order to allow for all the updates to be installed.  This meant I had to essentially start over again on the homework after I re-sized the partitions of my hard drive due to the fact that I had to uninstall all the applications that I had stored on my other partitions.  Other than this the week went pretty smoothly.  I did have some issues with one of the questions on the quiz.

Application installation and uninstallation is a very important skill to master within the Information Technology field.  With all the different versions of hardware and software available for corporations to utilize, it is important to have the knowledge and skills to foresee any compatibility issues that could be encountered by mixing these two.  It is also important to expose oneself to the various types and techniques used for application installation and uninstallation.  Lastly, it is very important to have good research skills so that if a compatibility issue does arise, the proper resources can be accessed to resolve the issue at hand.  Aside, from the corporate aspect, application installation and uninstallation is also used a great deal when working with one's own personal computing devices.  I will use much of the information presented this week to help improve the status of my own personal computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment