Saturday, February 16, 2013

Week 10: Registry

This week in class, the Windows registry was introduced and discussed.  I have had my run-ins with the Windows registry with varying degrees of success.  I generally try to stay away from the registry unless absolutely necessary due to my inexperience using it.  I am afraid of messing up my computer and having to reload everything from scratch.  This week has helped me gain a better understanding of the Windows registry and how it functions.  The registry basics were presented in class this week which include registry structure, registry editors, registry backup and restoration, and registry resources.  We also learned how to manipulate, remove, and add keys to the registry that set different configuration options for the system's hardware and software.  We learned about the different values that can be stored within the keys such as string and binary values.  We learned about the different registry editors available for manipulating the registry and how to use them to do so.  Finally, we learned about the security features included to protect the registry from malicious attacks and accidental manipulation.

The content of this week was not difficult to understand.  In fact, I learned a great deal of new information about the registry and its functionality.  The main problem I encountered this week was my fear of corrupting the registry of my virtual machine rendering it inoperable.  This fear is a result of past mistakes I have made in the registry due to my inexperience.  The material this week has given me a better understanding of the registry and has eased my fears a bit.

The registry can be a very valuable and powerful tool for system customization and security.  The registry is often used to enforce security and business policies within most corporations.  Therefore, it is important for Information Technologists to become comfortable using the registry.  When given the proper respect, the registry can be an Information Technologist's best friend.  Learning how to safely manipulate the registry can also get rid of several annoying Windows quirks or enable some useful features.  I can use my new knowledge of the registry to safely improve my own personal computers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment