Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Week 2: Batch Files and Scripting

This week in class, the topics of batch files and scripting were covered.  I have had very little experience with batch files and scripting.  We did cover these topics last quarter in INFO 1110 (Operating Systems I) where we wrote a couple of simple batch files and Bash shell scripts.  However, the topics were only briefly touched upon within this class and only a week of class time was dedicated to batch files and shells.  In INFO 1120 (Operating Systems II), batch files and shells were reviewed and expanded upon.  The readings for the week and the digital handouts were very helpful while exploring these topics and completing the homework and quiz.  I liked how the material had a section of examples and sample code to help me understand the structure and usefulness of batch files and scripts.  I also liked how some real industry-utilized scripts were included within this section.  I learned a great deal about other types of scripts including Visual Basic scripts, JavaScript scripts, etc.  I did not know anything about the Windows Script Host before this class.  The material within the week's module really helped me understand this program and its functions.

This week did not present too many challenges.  However, I did run into some issues when completing the homework for the week.  The INFO1120 server is no longer in operation which made it hard to run the script described on part 3 of the homework assignment.  It also made it hard to test the script that I had to write for part 1.  The homework also included some Novell commands that I had to search online for in order to determine what the batch files in part 2 of the homework were designed to do.

Batch files and scripts are relied on very heavily within the Information Technology field.  These useful files can be used to simplify and speed up many mundane and tedious tasks sometimes encountered in daily operations.  In my research of scripts on the internet, I came across several websites that have listed several very useful and time-saving scripts that their owners have developed to help them in their Information Technology practices.  Therefore, it is clear to see that learning how to develop and utilize batch files and scripts is very important as I move forward in my Information Technology studies.  I could also use these skills in my personal life as a way to complete everyday computer maintenance and other tasks that I often neglect.

No comments:

Post a Comment